[Sca-cooks] sour apple sauce

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Feb 24 22:20:51 PST 2014

>Is this sour apple a reference to the crab apple?

It could be. Thank you.

><<<  The only reference to sour apples "saur
>Epffel" is in the winemaking section. >>>
>
>>Was this making wine (cider) from the apples?
>>Or flavoring wine with the apples?

It suggests adding 3 or 4 sour apples to a barrel
of wine to help it ferment. I'd guess they are a
source of yeast and/or nutrients, not a flavoring.

To make wine very fermented/ that it will be fresh.
Item:  Take three or four sour apples (or perhaps
crab apples)/  and cut them in it/ and when their
taste goes away/ then put as many in it/ do this
as long/ until it becomes well fermented (biß er
wol geren wirt)/ then it  will be fresh and good.

Ranvaig