[Sca-cooks] souring agents

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Tue Feb 25 03:45:27 PST 2014

Several of the vinegars al-Warraq discusses are intended for table use, including one that looks pretty similar to balsamic vinegar. Also, within the recipes that call for vinegar, he specifies particular kinds of vinegar. Nasrallah (the translator) also describes several different kinds of vinegar in one of her glossaries in al-Warraq. If I recall correctly, not all the vinegar is made from grape wine, although the Prophet stated somewhere that the best vinegar is made from grape wine.

The citrus fruit described in period (lemon, orange, citron, possibly lime) was sour, not sweet, so no point in making vinegar from it. But you might use citrus peel to flavor vinegar.

As for making verjuice: Just squeeze the unripe grapes through cheesecloth -- pretty easy. I used what I made immediately, so I can't speak to how well the home-made stuff keeps.

As for vinegar as condiment or ingredient, it seems pretty clear to me that it has been used as both since antiquity.

-- Galefridus