[Sca-cooks] Does almond milk curdle?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 25 10:40:09 PST 2014

Sue replied to me with:
<<< My gut reaction was no but googling it, I found store that bought almond milk can curdle for the same protein attraction produced in milk when it curdles. Contrary to milk, curdled almond milk does not seem to be bad. Like Hollandaise sauce it can be beaten and saved.

I have never personally bought ready made almond milk. I have not seen it on sale in any of the countries in which I have lived. I have never had almond milk made from scratch curdle on me, perhaps because I use it immediately. >>>

Thank you Bear and Sue for answering my question, which as is many times the case, is more complex than the open and shut answer I expected. :-) I guess I may have to just make a test.

I actually do drink a fair amount of almond and/or soy milk from the grocery store. Others may scoff and say milk is better for you, but in my case since I'm on kidney dialysis, milk products are something I'm supposed to minimize. They contain potassium and phosphorous, which the dialysis has problems removing from my blood.

On the other hand, they want me to increase my protein intake.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris