[Sca-cooks] Arugula/Rocket/Eruca?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Tue Feb 25 11:43:38 PST 2014

Well, yes, but then various translations of De Villis also translate
fasiolum as kidney bean and blidas as spinach, so I'm not sure the standard
translations are all that useful a  guide.

https://www.le.ac.uk/hi/polyptyques/capitulare/latin2english.html

Nor  am I sure that the differentiations within De Villis are all that
fine. The  writers may well have considered sinapis a different plant from what
was later  called white mustard.

To complicate matters, there is also the term "rocket-leaved  mustard":

"In B. xix. c. 54. Fée identifies these three varieties of  mustard as
follows; the slender-stemmed mustard of Pliny he identifies with the  Sinapis
alba of Linnaeus, mustard with white seeds. The mustard mentioned as  having
the leaves of rape he considers to be the same as the Sinapis  nigra of
Linnaeus, mustard with black seed,  and that with the leaf of  the rocket the
identifies with the Sinapis erucoïdes of Linæus , the Eruca  silvestris of
Gessner or rocket-leaved mustard."

_http://books.google.com/books?id=IUoMAAAAIAAJ&dq=inauthor%3Apliny%20eruca&p
g=PA290#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=IUoMAAAAIAAJ&dq=inauthor:pliny%20eruca&pg=PA290#v=onepage&q&f=false)

So this Eruca could also be Eruca silvestris.

Richard Bradley treats the white mustard seed variety merely as a variety
of rocket:

"Eruca, Off. is called in English Rocket; there are several  Sorts of it,
but that Sort which brings the white Mustard-Seed, is most commonly  sown in
Gardens with other Sallad Herbs, which should be eaten only in the
Seed-Leaves; this is more gentle than the Black Mustard, and is a quicker  Grower;
it may be sown upon the natural Ground, from the Beginning of February,  till
November, and in this Winter it is commonly sown under a Frame and Glasses,
 with other young Sallad-Herbs"
_http://books.google.com/books?id=NuicQt6ozoYC&dq=%22Eruca%20silvestris%22&p
g=PT287#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=NuicQt6ozoYC&dq="Eruca%20silvestris"&pg=PT287#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Is there any dependable documentation on when each of these terms took  on
their current meanings? I'd really be surprised if one could be categorical
either way.

In Villanova's text, the idea of mustard certainly would make  more sense.

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Brother Leonard  on behavior  and  attitude
http://leslefts.
blogspot.com/2014/02/a-fourteenth-century-dietetic-brother.html

In a message dated 2/25/2014 11:03:48 A.M. Pacific Standard  Time,