[Sca-cooks] Arugula/Rocket/Eruca?

TerryDecker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Feb 25 13:32:24 PST 2014

I suspect that most of these authors could differentiate rocket and mustard.
Rocket tends to have white flowers, mustard has yellow (although I have
encountered some photographs of yellow flowers that purport to be rocket).
Differentiating plants within the genera Eruca and Sinapis is a little
trickier.  I am quite willing to accept that eruca alba and sinape in the
Capitulare de villis are rocket and mustard respectively.  I would suggest
that the alba in eruca alba is probably in reference to the white flowers.

Leonhardt Fuchs Herbal (1541) has the taxonomic names Eruca sative, Eruca
sylvestris, Sinapis alterm genus sylvestre, Sinapihortense, and Sinapi
primum genus sylvestre.  I believe these are E. sativa, E. vesicaria,
Sinapis alba, Brassica nigra, and some Brassicaceae I have yet to identify
respectively.  Now for the common names in order, Zamer Weisser Senff
(Domesticated White Mustard), Wilder Weisser Senff (Wild White Mustard),
Grosser Wilder Senff (Greater Wild Mustard), Zamer Senff (Domesticated
Mustard), and Kleiner Wilder Senff (Lesser Wild Mustard).  There is
obviously lots of room for confusion, so I'm open to persuasion.

It should be pointed out that Richard Bradley's Dictionarium Botanicum was
published in 1728 almost a quarter of a century before Linneaus introduced
his standard taxonomy.  Bradley lumps all of the rockets and mustards under
genus Eruca.  Had you read a little further down, you would have
encountered, "Eruca sativa alba.  White or Roman Garden Rocket with white
Seed.  The Roman Rocket is a smaller Plant than our Garden Kind, having
broad Leaves cut in on the Edges, but not deep, each Part being round at the
End, nothing so hot or sharp in Taste as the wild.  The Stalk has some
Leaves thereon, lesser and less jagged and beareth white Flowers at the
Tops, made of four somewhat long and round pointed leaves..."

As for the references in Villanova, I have no basis to address the issue.

Bear