[Sca-cooks] Does almond milk curdle?

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Feb 25 12:16:48 PST 2014

>Stefan asked that question.
>
>My gut reaction was no but googling it, I found
>store that bought almond milk can curdle for the
>same protein attraction produced in milk when it
>curdles. Contrary to milk, curdled almond milk
>does not seem to be bad. Like Hollandaise sauce
>it can be beaten and saved.

Rumpolt has a chapter for "Mandelkäß" almond
cheese, not sure if that's what you mean by
curdling almond milk.  It is colored and flavored
with various things, and used for subtleties.

Zugemüß 151.  Take grated almonds/ strain them
with isinglass/ cooked with water/ make sweet
with clarified white sugar/ set on coals/ and
stir well until it boils/ pour rosewater on it/
set in cold water/ stir well until it becomes
cold/ pour it in an earthen (terra cotta??) or
wax mold/ that are smeared inside with almond oil/

And when you want to dress it/ then pour a little
almond milk that is nicely cold and sweet/ and
that tastes of rosewater/ into it/ like this it
becomes well tasting and elegant.  If you have no
isinglass/ then simmer calves foot in clear
water/ so you can strain the almonds with it.  If
you instead have no calves foot/ then take pig
skin/ that is nicely clean and not fatty/ simmer
it with water/ then you can also use it for the
almond cheese.

To make various kinds of Almond cheese.

Mandelkäß 1. First white almond cheese.

Mandelkäß 2.  Strain the almonds with isinglass
and cherry sauce through each other/ make well
sweet/ set it on coals/ and stir around/ until it
comes to a boil/ that it does not scorch/ when it
is cold then pour in a mold/ that you have spread
with almond oil.

Mandelkäß 3. Pound grapes with almonds/ strain
them with isinglass/ that has been boiled in the
water/ strain though well thickened/ and make
sweet/ set on coals/ and stir until it comes to a
boil/ and let become cold/ and pour in a mold/
let congeal/ like this it becomes beautiful and
elegant/ take it out/ and dress it/ pour sour
cherry sauce/ that with cinnamon/ has been
strained/ and is nicely cold/ around it. If
instead the cherries are fresh/ then pound them
with the stones/ strain them with pounded
cinnamon/ and pour under the almond cheese.  If
you instead have cooked sauce/ that already has
been cooked with various spices and sugar/ then
take of it/ and break it apart well thin with
wine/ like this it is also good under (the almond
cheese).

Mandelkäß 4. Take almonds and quince juice/
strain it with isinglass/ and make well sweet/
set on coals/ and stir well/ until it comes to a
boil/ and let become cool/ pour in a mold/ and
let congeal/ and when you will dress it/ then you
can put a brown broth under it/ be it made from
sour cherry sauce/ or from quince juice/ that
becomes thick/ that one can slice it/ like this
it is lovely and good to eat.

Mandelkäß 5. Almond cheese with sour cherry
juice/ as mentioned before/ how one should make
it.

Mandelkäß 6. Strain almonds with isinglass/ make
it brown/ or leave white/ when it is cooked/ and
cold/ and well mixed with sugar/ then pour it in
the mold/ that is nicely made like a crab/ or in
various fish molds/ like this it stands elegant
and beautiful/ it has a color that  as you choose
may be white/ black/ yellow/ rose or violet
color/ like this it is elegant and charming.

Mandelkäß  7. If you will make the almond cheese
spotted (or checked)/ white/ yellow/ brown and
black/ then take sour cherry sauce/ strain with
almonds and with isinglass/ and let come to a
simmer/ and let become cool.  The next almonds
make gold/ the third blue with turnsole/ make
including a rosewater/ and give there under/ so
it becomes violet colored.  And when you want to
pour it in the mold/ then first pour in the
white/ then from the sour cherry sauce/ in turn
from the violet colored/ and then on top again
with white. Thus one makes a cheese that has four
colors/ give a cold almond broth/ that is sweet
and white/ over it/ like this it is good and well
tasting.

Ranvaig