[Sca-cooks] Does almond milk curdle?

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo dama.antonia at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 14:47:33 PST 2014

On 26/02/2014 9:16 a.m., Sharon Palmer wrote:
>> Stefan asked that question.
>>
>> My gut reaction was no but googling it, I found store that bought
>> almond milk can curdle for the same protein attraction produced in
>> milk when it curdles. Contrary to milk, curdled almond milk does not
>> seem to be bad. Like Hollandaise sauce it can be beaten and saved.
>>

> Rumpolt has a chapter for "Mandelkäß" almond cheese, not sure if
> that's what you mean by curdling almond milk.  It is colored and
> flavored with various things, and used for subtleties.
>
> Zugemüß 151.  Take grated almonds/ strain them with isinglass...

There are other recipes out there that suggest you can boil almond milk,
add vinegar, and strain, pretty much like like making paneer. I suppose
the isinglass is there to give the resulting "cheese" a firmer texture.

I found this article by Lady Wenyeva atte grene
http://slumberland.org/sca/articles/almond_cheese.pdf
She mentions this (and others)

"A Dutch cookbook of the late fifteenth-century, Wel ende edelike
spijse, has another take on the recipe:
Butter and cheese made of almonds. Make good almond milk. Then let it
boil in a pan. Take good wine
vinegar with a spoon, sparingly and little in all. As soon the [almond]
milk starts to curdle, pull the food
backwards and take a small basket with straw in it and a cloth upon it.
Let your food cool on it. Have a small
cheese mould and mix sugar with the food in it. Make cheese in the
cheese mould and butter in the platter."

Antonia di Benedetto Curdle... er, Calvo
--
E philosophia, semapis
Esse, ipso facto, seminullis.