[Sca-cooks] Arugula/Rocket/Eruca?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Tue Feb 25 14:02:06 PST 2014

? Why would you assume I didn't?

I was trying to be succinct, the main subject at hand being the possible
difference between white mustard and rocket. Bradley lists quite a few types
of  eruca, in fact,

>From your other examples, I think it's clear this is not a simple question.
 Certainly the shaky translations out there of De Villis aren't much help.
I took  a prowl through http://www.dmgh.de/ but  the few references there
seem to be more about caterpillars (another meaning  yet). So I doubt anyone
could conclusively demonstrate which sense was in play  in Villanova's period.

Otherwise, there's not much to say about Villanova's usage, since he  uses
"eruca" on its own, but if you look under "De saporibus" (at right)  three
lines up on this page, there's one:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k54344d/f78.image.r=

And on the next, at left, six lines up from the bottom there's another
(Gallica doesn't enable word search here and for some reason the very documents
 I downloaded from Google Books are no longer available there).

Jim  Chevallier
 (http://www.chezjim.com/) www.chezjim.com

Brother Leonard on behavior and   attitude
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/02/a-fourteenth-century-dietetic-brother.h
tml

In a message dated 2/25/2014 1:33:36 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
t.d.decker at att.net writes:

Had you read a little further down, you would have
encountered, "Eruca  sativa  alba. ..."