[Sca-cooks] Austrian State Museum Cookery Books

Susi Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Sat Jan 11 14:25:58 PST 2014

Hello All,

again I am WAY behind in my mails (too much work before and after the
holiays and no computer during the holidays)

Just some notes on the  austrian cookbook site you found, which is btw NOT
from the austrian  state museum but the Upper Austrian County museum
(Obero(with dots = oe)sterreichisches Landesmuseum), it does have not only
have recipes but also digitized hand written and (unfortunately not
diditized) printed cookbooks. Alas all in german.
See Kochbuchhandschriften for handwritten  texts the earliest one of the 87
they own is from 1646, the oldest  printed one is  from  1552. Balthasar
Staindl „Ain künstlichs und nutzlichs Kochbuch“, printed in  Augsburg by
Valentin Ottmar (not digitized).

The link does  sometimes have the whole book as PDF and a link to certain
transcribed recipes, almost all have links to the images.

http://www.alteskochbuch.at/kochbuchhandschriften.php

There are two more old Austrian cookbook sites  available: one from the
university of Salzburg and one from the Universit of Graz:

This is the link to the University of Salzburg's (County Salzburg)
"Lucullarium", the old cookbook page:

http://www.ubs.sbg.ac.at/sosa/lucullarium.htm

The oldest one is from the 15c, here the link to the transcribed recipes,
there are imagefiles available of the cookbook pages

http://www.ubs.sbg.ac.at/sosa/lucull/lucull128.htm

And this is the Link to the University Library of the University  of Graz
(in Styria) again to handwritten (oldest 2nd half of 15c. MS1609, link has a
glossar ) and printed (1688 earliest only the image files lead to a valid
link) textes.

Her are links to the glossar for each text, and transcriptions of various
recipes:

http://sosa2.uni-graz.at/sosa/druckschriften/dergedeckteTisch/handschriften.php

Link with detailed information and imagefiles to the whole book:

http://sosa2.uni-graz.at/sosa/katalog/katalogisate/1609.html

for the printed version you have to click on the book title to find the
glossar and a further link to the full text on Thomas Gloning pages:

http://sosa2.uni-graz.at/sosa/druckschriften/dergedeckteTisch/drucke/ub-sosa-kochbuch1688.php

http://sosa2.uni-graz.at/sosa/druckschriften/dergedeckteTisch/drucke/ub-sosa-kochbuch1688-rezeptregister.pdf

Ein Koch- Und Artzney-Buch. Gedruckt zu Grätz/ Bey denen Widmanstetterischen
Erben 1686

http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/graz2.htm

http://sosa2.uni-graz.at/sosa/druckschriften/dergedeckteTisch/drucke.php

the do have  a link to a digitized Scappi version (Venedig: Alessandro de'
Vecchi 1622) also:

http://sosa2.uni-graz.at/sosa/druckschriften/dergedeckteTisch/Kochbuch_Scappi/flash.html

and two french books from 1660 and 1655:

Lune, Pierre de: Le nouveau Cuisinier

http://sosa2.uni-graz.at/sosa/druckschriften/dergedeckteTisch/drucke/ub-sosa-koch-pierredelune.php

and the: Le pastissier francois, here only image files are available:

http://sosa2.uni-graz.at/sosa/druckschriften/dergedeckteTisch/I19964/

all in german, except the imagefiles of the french and italian Cookbook,

Have fun

maybe another link worth browsing :

http://www.literature.at/yearindex.alo

Austrian books (handwritten and printed, digitized):

before 1500:
49 texts, including various  "Sammelhandschriften" = collections of textes,
mostly in latin, can include medicinal and or cooking textes also

1500-1600:

31 texts, again including collections with medical textes in latin

1600-1699

40 texts,  which includes a  a handwritten Arzeybuch , a french - english
dictionary from 1699 and a facsimily print from 1680 on german grammar
written in English called the High Dutch Minerva from the Bodleian Library

Kind Regards

Katharina
Ad Flumen Caerulum
(YES, on the blue river DOES mean on the the blue DANUBE actually, :-))
Drachenwald, Vienna / Austria