[Sca-cooks] : Lobster in Period

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Thu Jan 16 02:55:37 PST 2014

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:56:36 -0800
From: David Walddon <david at vastrepast.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Cc: Aline Swynbrook <alineswynbrook at yahoo.com>,	Cooks within the SCA
	<sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Lobster in Period

Martino, et. al 1465 Italy (lastly translated into English in 1598) has at
least one lobster like recipe.
On my phone or I would look it up for you.
Eduardo
Sent from my iPhone

Martino mentions 'Lione de mare', 'Laguste' and 'gambari' (alt. gamari) (the
latter of which is explicitly described as having claws). Parzen's
translation has 'spiny lobster', 'lobster' and 'crayfish' for these
respectively. Boiled in vinegar and water or roasted in the coals.

There's also 'crayfish' mentioned as a freshwater fish in the Menagier de
Paris. These are also used in his 'tuile de char' recipe.

Angharad

---