[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 93, Issue 22 -- The Lobster Thread

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 16 12:33:55 PST 2014

On 01/16/2014 03:07 PM, sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:58:43 -0600
> From: "Terry Decker"<t.d.decker at att.net>
> To: "Aline Swynbrook"<alineswynbrook at yahoo.com>,	"Cooks within the
> 	SCA"<sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Lobster in Period
>
> You don't want to use langostino.  Lamgostino is Spanish for the squat
> lobster, which isn't a lobster at all, and comes mainly from the Pacific.
> What you want to use is langouste, spiny or rock lobster.  The differences
> between H. gammarus and H. americanus are primarily physical shell
> variations.  There shouldn't be any difference in taste.
>
> Bear

Langouste/spiny/rock lobster is also generally the source of the
ubiquitous frozen South African lobster tail, in case that matters.
There's comparatively little meat in the bodies and claws, unlike the
western Atlantic's homardus americanus, which has, by comparison,
whacking great claw meat, which is why so many of them are (or at least
were in the recent past) harvested, butchered, and immediately
quick-frozen before even reaching land.

Re prawns, actual prawns, such as the Dublin Bay prawn, are in fact
quite a lot like small lobsters; it is a marketing convention and
restauranteur's tradition to refer to large shrimp by that name (for
example, the scampi referred to in the name "shrimp scampi" are
lobster-like prawns; in this case prepared in a manner that had previous
been traditional for actual scampi).

Adamantius, hitting the books again