[Sca-cooks] Ancient cookery

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Mon Jan 27 11:57:31 PST 2014

While researching the history of olives, I came across a fascinating and
useful book:

Minoans and Mycenaeans: Flavours of Their Times, Tzedakis and Martlew,
eds. (1999). Greek Ministry of Culture, National Archaeological Museum.

It's an exhibit catalog discussing a range of finds dating from circa
7000 BCE to 1100 BCE and what they found using biomolecular residue
analysis. It's way before our time, but still very useful if for no
other reason that to look at the photos of ancient cooking and storage
vessels, as well as serving and drinking vessels.

There's also a symposium proceedings volume that discusses their
research in for greater depth:

Archaeology Meets Science: Biomolecular Investigations in Bronze Age
Greece: The Primary Scientific Evidence, 1997-2003.

I'll try for that one as well -- it looks like it might have a lot of
potential.

-- Galefridus