[Sca-cooks] Pompei poor eating giraffes??

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Fri Jan 3 17:41:10 PST 2014

??camel??

How did camel get into this? Pliny's "cameleopard" is (the editor says) a
giraffe. (Some Romans did eat camel, but Galen for instance disparages the
meat;  butchered camel bones have been found in Gaul from the Gallo-Roman
period.)

Otherwise, Dalby's good, but he's hardly Pliny. And he says  nothing about
giraffes.

Jim  Chevallier

Feasts and  All Their Finery
Elegant  Dining in Old Regime France
http://chezjim.com/books/legrand-feasts.html

In a message dated 1/3/2014 5:07:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,