[Sca-cooks] Pompei poor eating giraffes??

aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 22:09:54 PST 2014

On 1/3/2014 3:47 PM, JIMCHEVAL at aol.com wrote:
> Pliny the Elder probably knew Pompeii; he died there (trying to rescue
> friends). He says that the giraffe was seen "occasionally" in Rome, which
> argues  against it being a standard food item.

I never claimed it was a standard food item, I am claiming that no
animal wrangler in their right mind is going to haul a dead animal all
the way from wherever to Rome, or do anything with a dead critter that
doesn't have a carnivore in house to eat it other than figure out how to
sell it off to make a few coins on the deal. Live animals can be used to
display, dead animals lie there and start to stink. Obviously the
wranglers were accustomed to selling off animals to butchers because I
doubt the average Roman butcher was going to order animals from anywhere
other than a local farmer. Sheesh.