[Sca-cooks] The Florilegium is now back up / whales

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 15:18:27 PST 2014

By the way, Montevideo was the last harbour to touch when the big whaling
ships come from Norway in their way to the South Atlantic to hunt whales.
Many Norwegian sailors remained here and married local girls, we have many
ppl from norwegian descent here. It finished when the whales become a
protected specie and Norway was only allowed a small quota of whales.
ana

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 9:14 PM, James Chevallier <jimcheval at aol.com> wrote:

>  Thanks. Interesting to see that whales have still been hunted with nets
> in recent times, since that is one aspect that people have found dubious
> about earlier accounts.
>
> Otherwise, I don't know that the Basques were originally hunting whales
> for their oil, even if Le Grand says they ultimately originated that
> practice. Also, I'm not sure their initial attempts to render the oil on
> board worked out.
>
> Anyway, I'm relieved to see the earlier references I cite weren't there.
> Anyone who is REALLY interested in the subject will also want to browse the
> more general sources I cite at the start of my "FOR FURTHER READING"
> section. Some of these include quite a bit on fishing in general as well.
>

> Jim Chevallier
> www.chezjim.com

http://www.twitter.com/caravia15860606060
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0

<http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/>

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci