[Sca-cooks] Best and worst Norse-themed Feasts?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Jan 10 13:30:30 PST 2014

Two for best with great accounts--

Master A and Baroness Helewyse

Recounted here:

Smithson, Louise (Baroness Helewyse de Birkestad).

“Coronation of Ullr and Anne Lyse 2010. “As authentic to 10th century Scandinavia as possible.” With recipes.

http://feasts.medievalcookery.com/data/20100925_coro.html

Troy, Philip (Master G. Tacitus Adamantius). “An Icelandic Feast.”

Read both parts for the full write up.

Icelandic-Fst-art - 12/4/09 http://www.florilegium.org/ and from the SCA Cooks List

http://tinyurl.com/3vnw4xa

The Bad and Ugly

Numerous bad meals which covered the gamut from burned meats and burned basic dishes, (like the grain dishes)
too much emphasis on alcohol (lots of mead and ale-- cash bars) and not on the food being served and just being badly thought
out and ill-prepared feasts.
Traditional Scandinavian dishes, although not medieval, can be very good and a number of the very early (1970s) better tasting
feasts used The Great Scandinavian Cookbook which was at least a very good cookbook.
[Ignore the OP recipes or inauthentic
ingredients and there was good food to be had, but you still had to have some ability, a decent kitchen, and equipment.]

Many of these failed feasts  went for what can be described as a Viking tailgate atmosphere. Drink, drink, drink….
Beer and grilled meat and yogurt style fruit soups. Some were admittedly great fun, but highly inauthentic.

You might appreciate my one quarterly bibliography on

Medieval and Renaissance Cookery, Cookbooks, and Foods from Scandinavia

http://www.midrealm.org/pentamere/pdfs/gauntlet2011q4.pdf

Hope you enjoy it and find it useful.

Johnnae

Sent from my iPad