[Sca-cooks] Best and worst Norse-themed Feasts?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Jan 10 13:30:45 PST 2014

My first feast was for an Althing almost forty years ago.  This was in the
days before I was deep into historical cooking and it was more a mix of
traditional Scandinavian dishes than anything close to historically
accurate.  As a perioid feast, it went quite well.  The problem was
inclement weather and a feast for 120 had about 80 attendees.  We made up
the loss on the beer and turned a profit of $1.86.  Somewhere I have the
recipes, but I wouldn't post them as a feast menu, only as the occasional
modern goody.  In particular, I enjoyed the cardamom bread.

A small side tale:  The feast was attended by two Viking personas from Caid
who were on their way to Pennsic.  After eating their way through a lot of
food, they wanted to haul me back to Caid to "teach the people there how to
do a feast."

What's your problem with turnips?  Other than the human genetic problem with
the TAS2R bitterness receptor which causes some people (20-25% of the
population, IIRC) to preceive turnips and rutabagas as being extremely
bitter?  Proper cooking can help reduce the problem, but not eliminate it.
A more interesting question is when and how did the turnip arrive in
Scandinavia?  Is it a prehistoric import or is it more modern?  Turnips
appear in the context of Jorvik and Dublin, although at Jorvik, this may be
animal fodder, rather than human.  They do no appear in a number of Viking
era digs in Scandinavia.  The idea that turnips were common fare in Viking
era Scandinavia may be a fallacy and the vegetable was a Medieval import
from England, Ireland or France.  I don't have enough information yet to
have an solid opinion.

A point to consider is rutabagas, or swedes, as they are sometimes referred
too, first appear in the botanical record in 1620.

Bear