[Sca-cooks] Best and worst Norse-themed Feasts?

aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 07:50:48 PST 2014

On 1/10/2014 8:30 PM, morgana wrote:
> Oh my gosh. I did not know that. I normally can't stand them (add parsnips to my roots avoidance), and only armored nips, properly precooked and then spiced and baked are edible to me. I thought it was all the mashed overcooked gluey masses I had to eat in an English school in first and second grade (G). I must be one of the 20-25%! Good to know! Explains a lot….
>
> Morgana in Oertha

See, I only ever had turnips cooked more or less properly - mom always
gave slices a quick parboil, a good rinse and then escalloped them with
a white sauce made from good sweet whole milk, unsalted butter and just
a tiny amount of nutmeg, a good amount of pepper and occasionally diced
ham if she was using up leftover ham. None of the schools I ever
attended did the mashed turnips - by the time I was going through school
[call it 1966-1980] schools did pretty exclusively potatoes - no
turnips, no parsnips, and a fair amount of 'convenience' packaged foods
- what you would find in a grocery store just in larger can or frozen
batch sizes. Though there was the "Monkey Meat" scandal of the early
70s, some supplier was selling ground or stew cut horsemeat to the
school systems. [you can tell stew meat horse from cow by the actual
color, the horse has a redder color when cooked. Since I happened to
like horsemeat, it didn't bother me but oh well...]