[Sca-cooks] Best and worst Norse-themed Feasts?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Jan 10 18:12:08 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----
> What's your problem with turnips?  Other than the human genetic problem
> with the TAS2R bitterness receptor which causes some people (20-25% of the
> population, IIRC) to preceive turnips and rutabagas as being extremely
> bitter?  Proper cooking can help reduce the problem, but not eliminate it.
>
> Bear

Oh my gosh. I did not know that. I normally can't stand them (add parsnips
to my roots avoidance), and only armored nips, properly precooked and then
spiced and baked are edible to me. I thought it was all the mashed
overcooked gluey masses I had to eat in an English school in first and
second grade (G). I must be one of the 20-25%! Good to know! Explains a
lot….

Morgana in Oertha

You appear to have a haplotype combination that makes you more sensitive to
the bitter taste of glucosinates in various foods.  Bogdan could probably
explain it better than I, but unfortunately he is busy making his way in
academia.  What it means is pre-cooking with a couple water changes helps
reduce the glucosinates, so that doctoring the remains might make them
palatable.  Say, armored turnips?  There are enough people with the problem
that I am cautious with most root vegetable.

Bear