[Sca-cooks] Modern Day Subtleties (sort of) [Very OT]

aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 08:07:36 PST 2014

On 1/11/2014 10:18 AM, Martin G Diehl wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I know that I have been absent from this wonderful group far, far too
> long ... and here I am again ... whit something to share ...
>
> Please consider ...
> http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariannarebolini/truly-upsetting-vintage-recipes
>
> Of course, we would _never_ do anything like these recipes ... I think.
>
> Please comment ...
I saw that yesterday evening when I got home.

Hm, the lime jello with cottage cheese I certainly have had, with
mandarin orange segments. It is actually not bad. I am actually fond of
well made aspic - a favorite of my Grandmother was based on shrimp
aspic, with a decorative sprig of parsley embedded in the top, a row of
baby shrimp around the vertical edge of the oval, and inside embedded a
shrimp mousseline - so you saw a border of baby shrimps and a decorative
sprig of parsley against a background of a pale pink mousseline all
embedded in aspic. Very pretty, and very tasty. I have also made an
aspic based on chicken, with a chicken mousseline decorated with flowers
made of snips and cuttings of herbs and veggies gracing the tops.

[You have to make sure that the aspic is made with absolutely no fat in
the stock, otherwise it gets a funky sort of greasy feel. I much prefer
a chicken aspic to a veal aspic if given a choice.]

The multilayer sandwich is an old school 'girls luncheon party' trick, a
warner if you will. Think of it as the descendent of the scandanavian
sandwich 'cake'. The meatloaf igloo is cute, and again sort of a
sotletie or warner. The fancy hot dogs are just a previous generations
version of meatballs or lil smokies in the grape jelly/BBQ sauce
football party chow.

Many of these recipes are actually the equivalent of the green bean
casserole - invented by the food companies. If you find the sources of
the recipes, you will see they are from the gelatine company cookbook,
or ladies magazines.