[Sca-cooks] Lobster in Period

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jan 15 15:13:21 PST 2014

Formal binomial taxonomic description for H. gammarus (please note that
genus is capitalized while species, sub-species and variants are not) dates
from 1758 (Linneaus, Sytema Naturae).  The term lobster derives from the
Latin, "locusta" meaning "locust" based on the physical similarity.  The
general term can refer to any sea critter that resembles a lobster and in
this usage is found in Old English.

There are a number of species in the family Nephropidae (lobsters), but the
average size of members of the species and the species range (N. Atlantic to
the Black Sea) of H. grammarus, suggest that it would be the most commonly
available lobster in Medieval and Renaissance Europe.  The closely related
New World species is H. americanus.  The other common, wide-spread lobster
species in Europe is Nephrops norvegicus, commonly referred to a
langoustines or scampi.  The recipe and it's origin would be of use in
determining precisely what lobster is being referenced.

Bear