[Sca-cooks] Lobster in Period

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Jan 15 16:52:29 PST 2014

>I am currently working on a menu for an A&S entry and am trying to
>do some research on lobster in period.  Does anyone have any sources
>on which species might be correct?  I am finding documentation on
>Homarus Gammarus (common European lobster) from 1708, but haven't
>seen anything earlier.

Rumpolt has recipes for "MeerGrillen/ Gambarn"
Gamba modernly means prawn, but the picture looks more like a lobster
including the big claws.

1.  Set on (the fire) in a water with pepper and salt/ and let simmer
with it/ yet let it not simmer long/ because they are soon cooked/
give dry on a table with salt and pepper/ for one eats it together
with the shell.  You can also well take to the fry/ and well
gewelgt?? with pepper and salt/ because one must salt them well/
because they are already sweet.

2.  You might also well make them in (a sauce) with butter and pea
broth/ and with green well tasting herbs nicely sour/ put a little
ground ginger in it/ let simmer together/ and do not over salt it/
then it will be good and also well tasting.

Ranvaig