[Sca-cooks] Cut-Off Date for Cookery Books?

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Jan 29 14:29:03 PST 2014

Casteau's "Ouverture de Cuisine" was published in 1604.  It deals with
Belgian recipes (which were mostly in the French tradition) from the
second half of the 1500s.  Those recipes do have some modern elements,
but on average they are still far closer to the medieval than they are
to the modern.

I think that they would surprise Taillevent, 200 years earlier, less
than they would surprise La Varenne, 50 years later.

Thorvald