[Sca-cooks] Medieval? was Cut-Off Date for Cookery Books?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Jan 30 08:29:38 PST 2014

What defines "Medieval" or "Renaissance?"  Social change is an evolutionary
process that does not necessarily follow a universal linear path where it
can be defined accurately by date.  The "Medieval Period" ends for much of
Europe in the 16th Century, but a case can be made that it doesn't end in
Poland and Russia until the 18th Century.  Conversely, the "Renaissance" is
generally deemed to have started in the 15th Century, often using the handy
date of 1453 and the fall of Constantinople as a starting point.  The
historian Peter Burke argues that it actually begins in the 14th Century,
localized in Florence, Avignon, and a few othe places.

A change in European culinary patterns may trace to 1204 and the Fourth
Crusade, when the sack of Constatinople left Venice in control of the spice
trade.  The trade expanded and over time altered spice use in Europe, as is
reflected in Martino.  The 16th Century Columbian Exchange and the
Portuguese expansion into the spice trade, which helped cut the cost of
spices, only accelerated the process.  Simply ignoring the changes of the
16th Century does not eliminate the changes that were already occurring.

Consider rice, a widely used grain of the "Medieval period."  It was known
in Antiquity, but was not widely used except as a medicine.  It appears only
as a thickening agent in Apicius.  Yet by the High Middle Ages it appears as
the main ingredient in a number of dishes.  The accepted consensus is that
large scale rice cultivation was introduce to the Mediterranean Basin by the
Islamic Expansion between the 8th and 10th Centuries.  If one accepts that
the "Medieval Period" extended from the 5th to the 15th Centuries, then the
use of rice is a change in medieval cooking similar to the introduction of
the turkey in the 15th Century.  The introduction of new food stuffs during
the Islamic Expansion changed cooking, so which is the "true" medieval
cuisine, that before or after the Arabs?

Whether or not we set simple, hard, fast dates for our game, historic
reality is far more complex and indeterminate.

Bear