[Sca-cooks] Medieval? was Cut-Off Date for Cookery Books?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Thu Jan 30 09:28:30 PST 2014

Anthimus mentions rice in the sixth century:

"Rice is good well  boiled, for if it is raw it is harmful. Make rice for
dysenterics, boil it well  and so [have them] eat it. Even boiled in pure
water, so that when it begins to  be well cooked, drain the water, and so put
in goat's milk, and set the pot in  the coals, and cook it slowly until it
becomes solid: eat it warm without salt  or oil, not cold."

It is always possible that he was referencing his own Byzantine background,
 but typically he notes where a food cannot be found in Theuderic's region.

Another possibility is that it was still being imported at Marseilles,
rather than being grown anywhere in Gaul (I don't know of it's having been
found in archeaology at all).

Otherwise, it is certainly true that these categories represent a
continuum, which is why I tend to think of most of what is considered "Medieval
food" as essentially being Renaissance food, taking shape before its time,
mainly because it is unlike the food of most of the Medieval era in some
important ways. But the other side to that distinction is the importance of
looking at specific recipes in specific centuries, rather than treating all
"period" food as of a piece. (The cameline sauce of the thirteenth century is
not the cameline sauce of Casteau.)

This said, my impression is that SCA willfully blurs all this in the name
of fun and its "period" should not be confused with any scholarly  concern.

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Les Leftovers: sort  of a food history blog
leslefts.blogspot.com

In a message dated  1/30/2014 8:29:46 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,