[Sca-cooks] Cut-Off Date for Cookery Books?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Jan 29 15:53:25 PST 2014

I don't see it as an issue of "will you accept." The fact that a recipe
is in a book published before 1600 is very good evidence that the recipe
existed before 1600. The fact that it is in a book published in 1605 is
pretty good evidence, but not as good. The fact that it's in Digby,
which was compiled over a period of several decades prior to his death
in 1665, is some evidence. These aren't all or nothing questions—any
more than most issues of "is that period" are.

--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com