[Sca-cooks] Cut-Off Date for Cookery Books?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jan 30 14:16:02 PST 2014

You would have to ask Countess Alys directly exactly what she had in mind, since it was originally
her series of queries, I suspect that what she was seeking was the makings Gervase Markham's
"pretty and curious secrets" related to the making of banqueting fare which included marchpanes,
preserved fruits, pastes, wet suckets, dried suckets, marmalades and "goodinyakes", comfits, pears,
apples, wardens, (baked, raw, or roasted), sliced oranges and lemons, and lastly wafers. Plus
"you shall send forth a dish made for show only, as beast, bird, fish, or fowl, according to invention…"
[page 190 The English Housewife., ed by Michael Best.]

Or the recipes that would allow one to reproduce this very famous list that Randle Holme recorded and that Peter Brears cited in his famous article
on banketting stuffe.

Holme recorded that the sweets should include:

"Third Course.

1. March-pan set with several sorts of Sweet-Meats.

2. Preserves or wet Sweet-Meats in Plates as, Pears, Plums, Cherries,
Quinces, Grapes Respass, Pippins, Oranges, Lemmons, young Walnuts,
Apricocks, Peaches, &c. with their Syrup about them.

3. Dried Sweet-meats & Suckets of Oranges Lemmons Citron: or Conserves,
or Candies, and Rock-Candies of Cherries, Apricocks, Plums, Damasius,
Pippins, Pears, Angelica, Rosemary and Marygold Flowers, Pippins, Pears,
Apricocks, Plums, Ringo roots: or Marmalet of Quinces, Damasins, Plums,
Oranges, - Pastes made of Citron: Pippins, Apricocks,
Rasbery, English Currans.

4. Bikets, Mackroons, naple Bisket, Italian Bisket, Comfeits round,
Longs and Loseng like, Gingerbread, Almond Cakes, Apricock Cakes,
Losenges, Quince Chips, Orange cakes, Marchpane Collops.

5. Sugar cakes, Iamballs, Iemelloes, Sugar Plate, Plum and Rasbury
cakes, Cheese cakes.

6. Tree Fruit as Apples and Pears of diverse kinds, Cheries, Plums,
Strawberies, Currans, Raspes, Walnut, Chestnuts,
Filbernuts, Dates, Graps, Figgs, Oranges, Lemmons,
Apricocks, Peech, Dried Raisins and Currans, Prunes, Almonds blanched

According as the season is for them, all which several things are mixt
and interchangably set on the Table according to the discription of the
Gentleman Sewer.

Does this help?

Johnnae