[Sca-cooks] Confections was Cut-Off Date for Cookery Books?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jan 30 14:56:48 PST 2014

Oh I know that we have manuscripts and I did mention
"A manuscript here, a manuscript there, containing a few items."
I used to urge Connie Hieatt to include more confectionery recipes. There are  a number of descriptions
of the English manuscripts
that she examined that read something like, "confections" or "medicinal" without further explanation. Her culinary
English canon did not include much beyond the confectionery recipes that appear in "Goud Kokery" in Curye on Inglysch.
I had to fight to get the Gonville &Caius recipes as published in PPC 69 included in the Concordance.

In terms of other languages of course we have the splendid translation by Charles Perry of
"An Anonymous Andalusian cookbook of the 13th century" which appears on your Grace's website. Likewise we have
the sweets that appear in Annals of the Caliphs' Kitchens: Ibn Sayyār al-Warrāq's Tenth-Century Baghdad Cookbook and other Islamic texts.

But do we have any evidence that these recipes of 13th or 10th centuries appear on the tables of Elizabethan England
which seemed to be
the background of the question posed by Countess Alys?

In terms of printed books that I did not mention we have the recipes of Michel de Nostredame (first translated into English in the 1990s) and that complicated
series of works known as the Le Bastiment de receipts,
a translation of: Opera nuova intitolata dificio di ricette; Le plaisant iardin is "traduit d'Italien en François.
Now that would be a worthy translation project.

Johnnae