[Sca-cooks] Turksih delight

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Jan 31 09:49:29 PST 2014

Turkish delight is generally attributed to the Turkish confectioner, Hadji
Bekir, who introduced the confection in Constatinople in the 18th Century.
Not exactly before 1492 (or 1600) either.

If you are looking for actual period Islamic confections, I would suggest
starting with Cariadoc's Miscellany
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm .

If you want to try making Turkish delight with period ingredients, try
replacing the cornstarch with wheat starch.

Bear