[Sca-cooks] National Cheesecake Day

Susan Lord Williams lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 11:10:40 PDT 2014

Johanna wrote:

> Is July 30th and nobody seems to know why.
>
> http://www.foodbeast.com/2014/07/30/11-mildly-interesting-cheesecake-facts-for-national-cheesecake-day/
>
> http://www.punchbowl.com/holidays/2014/7/30/national-cheesecake-day
>
> http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/July/cheesecakeday.htm
>
> Johnnae

I have no idea either but throughout the Spanish medieval manuscripts we seem to have several predecessors of cheesecake.

My last endeavour with one of those recipes was “flaones.” Just the title brings up the debate, is this a forerunner of the Spanish “flan” pudding or is it a forerunner of cheesecake?

In my blog Medieval Spanish Chef, I am providing two blogs with interpretations of the recipe- This first is titled  “enchir,”

 http://www.medievalspanishchef.com/2014/03/enchir-with-15th-century-recipe-for-bak.html

published March 3, 2014. The third interpretation of this recipe will appear in the blog entitled “flaones” to be published the 6th of August.  I find the “enchir” recipe more like cheesecake and the other one was a fight to make it solidify thus making it to be like a Spanish “flan” pudding.

Perhaps the naming of Cheesecake Day is in commemoration to those of us with outstanding tastes for that which is so delicious!