[Sca-cooks] National Cheesecake Day

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Thu Jul 31 11:41:14 PDT 2014

It may help to know the linguistic history  here.

The original word was "flado", meaning a flat cake (flado is  cognate with
"flat"). In the early Middle Ages, it was probably a sweet  flatcake. Its
inflected form in Latin was "fladone", which became "flaon" and  then "flan".
(Even today, one meaning of "flan" is a flat metallic surface used  in
minting.)

Originally, then, the defining characteristic of a flan was  not its
filling; it probably didn't have one. It is that it was flat.

At  some point cream or cheese started to be put on it. This was probably
like a  pizza. And in fact a recipe from just before or after the Crusades
resembles a  pizza; that is, it has slightly raised sides and contains a
cheese  filling.

With time, it seems, the side got higher and the defining trait  of what
was now a flan was its filling. Just as what had been "pasties" in  French
(pâtés) became known for what had filled these (chopped flavored meat),  so in
some places a flan is what once filled what had been a  flatcake.

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Sources on early  medieval French  food
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/07/sources-on-early-medieval-french-food.h
tml

In  a message dated 7/31/2014 11:10:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,