[Sca-cooks] A Julab Puzzle

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jun 6 12:11:42 PDT 2014

According to some online research, a saturated sugar solution at room
temperature should be about 1:1 sugar to water, which is far below the
Ibn Sina figure. I made some up yesterday using 2c sugar, 1 c water,
1/2c rose water, which should be slightly above that, and it hasn't
started to crystallize out yet. If it doesn't, I'll try next time with
more sugar.

If the 1:1 figure is about right, that suggests several possibilities:

1: Ibn Sina is making a very super saturated solution, using it shortly
after making it. That strikes me as unlikely, since he is going to
dilute it before drinking it anyway.

2. Textual error. Is the recipe based on more than one surviving copy of
the text?

3. Error in translation.

4. Error in units.