[Sca-cooks] A Julab Puzzle

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Fri Jun 6 08:27:59 PDT 2014

Given that sugar in other sources more or less contemporary with Ibn
Sina (most notably al-Warraq) generally means white sugar, I would be
inclined to agree with Cariadoc that impure sugar is unlikely. I would
guess that modern organic white sugar, which has a very faint beige
color, would be a close approximation to what was available in medieval
Persia.

I would also be inclined to agree with Bear on the cause of the
precipitated sugar crystals. In my experience, even many modern syrups
are at least a little supersaturated: I have seen both honey and maple
syrup crystallize, given the proper time and temperature considerations.
I have a jar of homemade muscat grape syrup in our fridge that started
showing a heavy precipitate within a few weeks of having prepared it.

Other contributing factors may be the acidity or ionic strength of the
syrup. I have a jar of oxymel syrup that I prepared using instruction in
Dioscorides. Being oxymel, it obviously contains vinegar, but it also
contains salt. It has sat at slightly below room temperature for well
over a year, and shows no signs of precipitate. I would guess that the
higher acidity and ionic strength have been significant factors in
causing all the components to remain in solution. I would have to
consult with others with a better handle on food chemistry to be
certain, however.

-- Galefridus