[Sca-cooks] period uses for sage in desserts and with vegetables

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Jun 10 15:09:49 PDT 2014

>I have a bumper crop of sage in my garden.  Actually I also have a
>lot of fennel leaves and lemon balm, but the sage is really taking
>off this year.  I would like period recipes for use of sage in
>desserts other than fritters and with vegetables.

Rumpolt has many references to sage, but most of them for savory
dishes, not dessert.  Here are a couple for pastries with sage:

Gebackens  25. Make a batter of clean eggs and flour/ dip sage into
the batter/ and let it run off/ draw into hot butter/ so it will
cleanly puff up/ sprinkle them with sugar/ and give warm on a table.

Gebackens  61. Take water and sugar/ and let come to a boil together/
and let cool down a little. Take an egg yolk or two/ fair flour/ rose
water/ and warm water/ that is mixed with sugar/ also put butter in
it/ about a hazel nut big/ and stir the dough with fair white flour/
fry holhippen (rolled waffles) from it/ may also take sage leaves in
it/ green parsley or tarragon.

But if you want to make it violet colored/ then soften turnsole in
rose water/ and stir into the dough/ then it will be violet colored/
But if you want to have it brown/ then take finely ground cinnamon.

If you want to have it black/ then mix cloves with the flour/ then it
will be brown/ and tastes lovely of the cloves.  You can also take
cloves with the clarified sugar rolled waffles/ and a little tasting
Biesem??.

Ranvaig