[Sca-cooks] Mint

Susan Lord Williams lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:49:25 PDT 2014

Madhavi wrote:

> How do they die? Do they dry up and then die? Do the leaves get brown around
> the edges? Do they turn yellow or bleached-looking and then die? We need
> more details to diagnose cause of death.
>
> Madhavi

That strikes me as funny! I know I should not laugh but my urge is to reply, they died in pure agony and we had a solemn funeral.

Seriously, the leaves turned brown around the edges and then good-by.

They lived in flower box almost a yard long and about 7”. They are in a closed in terrace with no heat. They receive a lot morning sunshine. It is winter time now but it never goes below freezing. The mint was between the sage and the rue which are thriving like the other herbs in the two boxes one higher than the other - such as dill, basil, thyme, mejoran, parsley and oregano. I am surprised that the dill is doing splendidly.

I did read somewhere that some herbs don’t like each other. Could the sage and the rue beat up the mint? My father’s mint survived snow and all kinds of inclement weather but it lived in the front yard of the house where no one ever paid any attention to it except at tea time in the afternoon.