[Sca-cooks] Non-leavening/non-brewing use of yeast

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 08:36:01 PDT 2014

Anyone know of other period recipes where yeast is used, not as a leaven or for beverage brewing, but for something else as in these fish examples?  From Bear’s last comment, it appears that perhaps not many of “us” have tried many of these recipes. I don’t remember any previous discussions on this, but I may be mis-remembering.

Just in case it might be of interest there is a fair amount of commentary on period sauces in the Florilegium condiments section, as well as in some feast reviews, such as:

camelne-sauce-msg (36K) 7/25/11 Sauces w. cinnamon as a major component.
garlic-sauces-msg (58K) 3/ 3/13 Various period garlic sauces. Recipes.
garum-msg (78K) 2/24/08 Roman fish sauces made from fermented fish. Also includes comments on liquamen.
green-sauces-msg (24K) 2/ 5/12 Period green sauces. Sauces of green herbs.
murri-msg (44K) 2/14/08 Rotted barley paste condiment of Arabia.
Mustard-art (5K) 9/14/00 "Mustard" by Ld. Daniel le Vascon du Navarre
Mustard-Making-art (36K) 12/ 7/03 "Making Medieval-Style Mustards" by Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
mustard-msg (192K) 7/24/11 Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
sauces-msg (164K) 2/ 5/12 Period sauces. Sauce recipes.
The-Saucebook-art (33K) 9/ 2/99 The Saucebook" by L. Allison Poinvillars de Tours. Sauces and the humours in the MA.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris