[Sca-cooks] Sotheby's sale with cookbooks

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Mon Jun 30 19:51:29 PDT 2014

On 6/30/2014 7:37 PM, Aruvqan wrote:
> http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2014/medieval-renaissance-manuscripts-l14240/lot.51.html
>

>> *87 leaves* /(last 3 leaves ruled but otherwise blank, plus one
>> original vellum flyleaf at each end),/
>
> Hm, and I have a good recipe for gall ink, some galls out on the oak
> out back, Phlip has some rusty iron we could use. Anybody speak latin
> and have a good hand? We could have serious fun if we could slip it
> into the Vatican library ... anybody fancy writing a Papal Bull
> letting women become priests? <evil grin>

Heh. I just came across a letter the other day, from Alcuin of York to
Charlemagne, in which he notes that he has extra parchment left, so he
put some math puzzles for the emperor's amusement in the empty space-
and if he (Charles) had trouble solving them, he should ask Einhard for
help, because he's really good at that sort of thing.

I found this far too amusing, and I've been getting a lot of mileage out
of the story. :-) Maybe we should add some math puzzles to that Papal Bull?

Liutgard

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
abilities." -Albus Dumbledore ~~~Follow my Queenly perambulations at: