[Sca-cooks] Doctors as sources of recipes

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Mar 1 10:19:22 PST 2014

List members may have noticed I've been delving into the works of Arnaldus
de Villanova, who, aside from his major role in medicine and chemistry, is
also  known in food history for early mentions of things like spirits,
blancmange,  marzipan, etc.He also describes green sauce, black sauce and what
was  essentially cameline.

But he was not the only medical writer of the period to touch on food. In
my blog post this week, I look at two others as well; I wouldn't be
surprised if  there are others out there yet to be found.

"The doctor's blancmange: Medieval recipes from medical texts"
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-doctors-blancmange-medieval-recipes
.html

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com