[Sca-cooks] Ekkehardi Monachi Sangallansis, "benedictiones ad mensas"

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sun Mar 9 22:13:13 PDT 2014

I  see we have had a link here to a codex of Ekkehard's very useful tenth
century  table blessings, which inventory a long list of foods to be blessed.

http://lists.ansteorra.org/htdig.cgi/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org/2008-February/0
14319.html

This  version may be easier to read however:

Ekkehardi  Monachi Sangallansis, "benedictiones ad mensas"
p  352
The  archaeological journal Volume 21 1864

_http://books.google.com/books?id=C4dbAAAAQAAJ&dq=benedictiones%20ad%20mensa
s&pg=PA352#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=C4dbAAAAQAAJ&dq=benedictiones+ad+mensas&pg=PA352#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Here's  an English language overview of the work:

"The Convent Kitchen in the  Eleventh Century"
The Daguerreotype, Volume 2 March 25, 1848 v2 No 4 p  145
_http://books.google.com/books?id=uHsAAAAAYAAJ&dq=ekkehard%20table%20blessin
gs&pg=PA145#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=uHsAAAAAYAAJ&dq=ekkehard+table+blessings&pg=PA145#v=onepage&q&f=false)

And  if your German is better than your Latin, this relatively recent work
(which  includes a German translation of the above) may be of interest:
Essen und  Trinken Im Mittelalter (1000-1300): Literarische,
Kunsthistorische ...
By  Anne Schulz
Walter de Gruyter, 2011
_http://books.google.com/books?id=PAp9jI8NoYQC&lpg=PA604&ots=TIhz6lFUcO&dq=%
22Lactis%20pressuram%22&pg=PA604#v=onepage&q&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=PAp9jI8NoYQC&lpg=PA604&ots=TIhz6lFUcO&dq="Lactis%20pressuram"&pg
=PA604#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)