[Sca-cooks] Meat and potatoes

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 15:03:06 PST 2014

I was raised by depression era parents - nothing was thrown away and you
ate what was on your plate no matter how long it took.  I recall sitting
there for more than 4 hours with a plate of liver in front of me until I
could cut it up small enough to eat without chewing - not a texture I ever
want to have to taste again.

People in the U.S. can be particularly picky and fussy - I know people who
have never and will never eat a leftover.  There are people who go "ick"
over broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, or most any other vegetable.
 They then teach their children to be equally picky.  In our house our son
(3 1/2 years old) will eat everything from smoked oysters to tofu - he
loves fish and there isn't a fruit or vegetable he won't eat.  We haven't
denied him anything so he's just as likely to ask for a tomato (to eat
whole) as a piece of candy.  Maybe it's because that's how my husband and I
were raised but we serve our son what we eat and he likes it.

As for a guest throwing away a platter of fish - I don't know of anyone who
would be so rude - it does not even compute with me.  How could she dare
throw out a platter of food.  I hope she felt bad about what she had done -
she should.

The eggs on the buffet - as someone said - if they sit too long they
continue to cook, get tight, rubbery - leaching out the water and they
start to turn green.  I can understand someone not being excited to eat
that but if the eggs are kept fresh and not too many cooked and left
sitting I think it's fine - it's an easy way to serve them to a large
group.  If they don't like them - they don't have to eat them.

I loved the breakfast buffet in Japan - there was always sushi!  What
better way to start the day.  But chocolate kuchen sounds like a fine idea
as well.

I say offer them the food you want to - if they choose not to eat it it is
their choice but you do not have to cater to them unless you are running a
restaurant or you know in advance they have an allergy (not just an "I
don't like").  If I am served a plate of something I don't like I have been
known to do my best to eat it no matter how much I don't like it because I
do not want to be rude to my host but if they give me a choice - I'll
choose something else.

I'm sorry you have had some bad experiences with people from here.  I'd
like to say they are the exception but sadly I don't think so - but look on
the bright side - there are those of us who enjoy going to other countries
for the exciting new foods we'll eat as much as the wonderful
art/architecture/scenery.

Shoshanah