[Sca-cooks] Redaction exercise

TerryDecker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Mar 8 06:24:03 PST 2014

This is a fine bread pudding in a pie shell.  While we would generally think
of it as a sweet dish, the bread custard is actually fairly neutral.  A
little salt, a little pepper and some mixed herbs, maybe a touch of cloves,
and you have a savory.  The recipe doesn't call for sugar in quantity and
Welser tends to state it clearly when a dish is to be sweetened, but a
teaspoon of sugar added to the spicing would help brighten the flavor.
German's have a sweet tooth and you will find pea and bean dishes that are
to be served with coarse grated sugar, so a touch of sugar isn't out of
place.

Bear