[Sca-cooks] the Melipone bee, vanilla

TerryDecker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Mar 9 20:57:20 PDT 2014

Yes, Melipona bees do produce honey.  While there are numerous species
worldwide, most are found in the tropics.  The particular species that
pollinate vanilla are only found in Mexico.

Many bees produce honey, but only the species that form colonies are of use
to humans.  The European honeybee (Apis mellifera) is a prolific producer of
honey and it flourishes in temperate climates, but it is not the only
producer of honey.  Central and South America, Africa and Australia all had
honey before the Europeans arrived, but the evidence suggests it was
gathered from the wild rather than farmed.

To my knowledge, the Meliponini are nor subject to Colony collapse disorder.

Again to my knowledge, the only recorded use for vanilla pre-1600 was as an
ingredient in chocolate drink.  At some point it moved to coffee, but this
was likely in the first half of the 17th Century as coffee houses caught on.
The first recorded consideration of vanilla as a separate and distinct
flavoring was in 1602.

Bear