[Sca-cooks] the Melipone bee, vanilla

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 9 20:13:24 PDT 2014

Ber commented:
<<< Linnaeus and his attempt to grow vanilla is immaterial to the early dating
of vanilla in Sweden as he is 18th Century.   He failed because natural
pollination of vanilla is by the Melipone bee which is only found in Mexico. >>>

Did/does this bee produce honey?

I think we've discussed that honeybees were an European import to the New World, and I classify honey as an Old World food when I run the NW/OW game.

Os this bee also subject to a die-off as other bees currently are?

Do we have any other period recipes that use vanilla, other than this recipe for cocoa?

Thanks,
  Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com