[Sca-cooks] eyeglasses and cameras

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 24 08:34:57 PDT 2014

I am myopic (nearsighted) and anything more than a foot away is quite blurry, but i have no problem reading without my glasses. My mother could see distances well, but her arms weren't long enough to get reading matter far enough away to be able to read it - she was presbyopic (farsighted)

All the early art showing men wearing glasses show them using them to read books. I've never seen pre-17th c art showing anybody using glasses to look out into the distance. So it seems to me that glasses were first used to correct presbyopia (farsightedness) and not myopia (nearsightedness).

Uratim