[Sca-cooks] Persian

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat May 3 18:03:25 PDT 2014

Gwen Cat wrote:
> looking for resources for Period Persian. Most specifically, I have been told there are
> standard(ish) spice blends... like the  Persian versions of poudre douce and poudre forte;
> one primarily for sweet, one for savory.

Stefan posted a link to messages with Persian food content in his Florilegium.
> fd-Persia-msg (20K) 8/17/10 Food of medieval Persia. References.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Persia-msg.html

I value the Florilegium highly. But, of course, one must not take it as the absolute truth. There is speculation as well as misinformation, however well intentioned, in some sections, larded with bits of good solid info.

I'm reading it over and i'd like to make a few comments.

The Legendary Cuisine of Persia by Margaret Shaida was recommended by someone. It is not a reliable source for SCA-period food. Not mentioned is Food of Life: Ancient Persian and Modern Iranian Cooking by Najmieh Batmanglij. It is not a reliable source for SCA-period food, either, but IIRC (i have it at home) there are bits here and there that are derived from period sources. If you like to cook modern Persian food, i recommend it - and then you can scour it for any potential period info.

A Soup for the Khan was recommended by someone. It is now available in a new and slightly less expensive edition. It is a mix of Turkic and Mongol recipes and foodways, with some influences from Baghdad. Persian influences, if any, are not abundant. It's a great book, but not particularly useful in reconstructing Persian food, better for the history of pre-Ottoman Turkic food.

As i suggested in a previous message, I would recommend reading the 14th c. satire "Gorby and the Rats" - there are a couple different translations of the banquet scene on the internet - a group of rats put on a banquet for a cat because he didn't eat them... cannot possibly come to a good end ;-) - as well as tracking down translations of the works of 15th c. satiric author  Abu Ishaq Shirazi, known as Bushaq At'imah, the Gastronomer. I only have a little Bushaq myself, so i can't make any particular recommendations.

I know some foods are mentioned in the Shah-nameh, but it is a huge work. I own a highly abridged version which features the paintings, and not so much of the text. It is a long poem that consists of about 50,000 verses composed by Ferdowsi between 977-1010 CE. It's the national epic of Iran (Persia), telling the mythic and legendary history of the Persian empire, from the creation of the world up to the Islamic conquest of Persia in the 7th c. I figure i should read it sometime in the not too distant future.

Also, i notice i am quoted there in the Florilegium, blathering on a great deal, often with embarrassing typos.

Urtatim