[Sca-cooks] Corn dollies.

Sandra J. Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Mon May 5 08:07:09 PDT 2014

I suspect this making of rough human figures may be the original use of the term "corn dollies," but when I first saw it what came to mind was plaited and twisted/arranged stalks of grain (usually wheat straw these days), many of which were not human.  They are identified as "traditional," which of course does not necessarily mean period.  The Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_dolly seems to have examples of both types.

Sandra