[Sca-cooks] 1400's german buckwheat

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun May 18 20:27:34 PDT 2014

I found an off-hand reference in an article about žganci stating that it,
or buckwheat, was 1st referenced in 1426 german town records.  I have run
quickly through the german cookbook translations I have ... I plan more
intensive studies when I get my others from storage.  I ask the amassed
many here if anyone knows of a recipe from Germanish sources for a
buckwheat dish that is more or less a stiff mush or firm polenta-like dish
served with rendered pork and milk sauce.  It has become a Modern-era
Slovenian national dish for a couple centuries maybe.

Not a hot burning research, but thought I would ask those currently
immersed in German texts.  The florilegium didn't proffer anything in the
search strings I used.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco