[Sca-cooks] 1400's german buckwheat

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun May 18 22:00:08 PDT 2014

It's later, but Rumpolt has recipes for buckwheat
porridge.  Doesn't say how firm it is or what to
serve with it.

Zugemüß 98.  Buckwheat porridge (Heidenbrey)/
that is cleanly picked (hulled??) and washed off/
set it with beef broth to (the fire)/ let simmer/
until it becomes thick/ put fat/ that has been
skimmed from beef broth/ in it/ like this it is
good and well tasting.

99.  Buckwheat porridge cooked in milk/ is good and a lordly food.

100.  Buckwheat porridge/ that is nicely white/
cooked in water/ put much butter in it/ and let
simmer well together/ may also salt it.  And when
you dress it/ then pour clear butter over it.

Ranvaig