[Sca-cooks] 1400's german buckwheat

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at gmail.com
Sun May 18 22:14:56 PDT 2014

On May 19, 2014, at 12:00 AM, Sharon Palmer <ranvaig at columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> It's later, but Rumpolt has recipes for buckwheat porridge.  Doesn't say how firm it is or what to serve with it.
>
> Zugemüß 98.  Buckwheat porridge (Heidenbrey)/ that is cleanly picked (hulled??) and washed off/ set it with beef broth to (the fire)/ let simmer/ until it becomes thick/ put fat/ that has been skimmed from beef broth/ in it/ like this it is good and well tasting.
>
> 99.  Buckwheat porridge cooked in milk/ is good and a lordly food.
>
> 100.  Buckwheat porridge/ that is nicely white/ cooked in water/ put much butter in it/ and let simmer well together/ may also salt it.  And when you dress it/ then pour clear butter over it.

"Buckwheat porridge that is nicely white"? How white does this mean? I thought buckwheat was a fairly brown grain, like whole wheat, if not more brownish. This recipe doesn't add milk, which I think would make the porridge whiter. Would the butter have that much effect? Or am I thinking too modern with my idea of what is "nicely white"? I seem to remember similar discussion on how white period sugar was.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris