[Sca-cooks] 1400's german buckwheat

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon May 19 05:49:09 PDT 2014

Buckwheat is not a grass and is therefore not a grain.  It is an achene,
seed-like fruit (think sunflower seed).  As it is used like a grain, it is a
pseudocereal.  Buckwheat has a hull and seed coat that tend to browns and
greens in color and a white endosperm (the starchy part).  Thus "nicely
white" would be buckwheat with the hull and bran removed.

Bear